Saturday, December 16, 2006

Where's the Thing v.2, Part 1

So, I'm "borrowing" JP's post title because, well, you know. JP was up at 11 PM his time worrying about Lorraine and her gang. That was 9 PM my time (and Lorraine's time), and I'd already checked half a dozen times for a new post from her. Nada. I went to bed at 10 worrying. I got up at 5:30 and the first thing I did was go online, check my RSS feeds, and saw nothing still. "Okay", I'm thinking, "her power got turned back on in the middle of the night, they were tired, cold, and hungry, so went to bed before it got turned back on, so she hasn't blogged yet 'cuz she doesn't know it's on." Makes sense, right? We all know better. We all know that when the power goes back on, there will be all these lights blazing that they forgot were on, the fridge will kick on with that usually unnoticeable but now loud as a chainsaw hum it makes when the compressor starts running, and all sorts of everyday electrical noises you never pay attention to will come alive, startling them from their restless slumber. And we ALL know that Lorraine will, at the very least, post a short entry on her blog letting us all know she is alive and well, albeit starving because Dominos could not send drivers out into the tree covered streets to deliver pizza to them (see JP's above linked post for this reference). Obviously, the power is still out. I decided to check the Seattle Post-Intelligencer's web site for the latest local news. Here's what I found out:

About 700,000 customers of Puget Sound Energy, the state's largest private utility, were without power early Friday, and about three-fourths of the circuits were down in the company's nine-county service area, spokesman Roger Thompson said. Some people could be without power for as long as three days, said Dorothy Bracken, a Puget Sound Energy spokeswoman. Half of Seattle City Light customers -- about 160,000 in all -- were without power Friday morning, the utility reported. That number had dwindled to about 86,000 by 7 p.m. Friday, though city utility officials estimated it would take 48 hours to restore power to many customers. The number is expected to be cut to 30,000 by midnight tonight.

I am not sure which power company supplies power to Lorraine's neighborhood, but regardless, it doesn't look good. She could be without power for the entire weekend - and then some! I know we're all on pins and needles here, waiting for an update, an email, a blog post, something to let us know everything is back to relative normal for Lorraine. I'll do my part, and I know JP will be checking in as well.