Tuesday, December 12, 2006

I love oldies

Last year I bought the Rod Stewart CD The Great American Songbook, Vol 2. after listening to a couple of clips from it. I was a big Rod Stewart fan back in the Maggie May days. I continued to be a fan throughout the ensuing decades, but I wasn't too sure about him singing the oldies. He surprised me. What surprised me more was how much I really liked the oldies - and we're not talking 70's, or even 60's here. We're talking 40's and 50's.

I suppose my penchant for watching old movies throughout my youth, and the fact that I grew up with most of the great old music from Frank Sinatra, Henry Mancini, Tony Bennett, Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Mel Torme, et al, playing pretty much all the time when we were home, makes me wax nostalgic when I hear songs from that era. There is something that just feels right about listening to I Left My Heart in San Francisco by Tony Bennett, or White Christmas by Bing Crosby. So, on that note: