Sunday, March 18, 2007

Cat food scare

Yeah, I know you all know about the big scare, and yes, I emailed Lorraine about it and was glad to hear The Cat was not a victim of tainted food. What got me was that I had been feeding that exact stuff - the cuts and gravy pouch food by Nutro, and sometimes by Special Kitty, to my cat until a few months ago. I never thought I'd be happy about her puking, but the fact is, 1 out of every 3 times I fed her this food, she'd puke it up. I figured she just has a tender tummy and probably ate too quickly, but I got tired of paying 59 cents a pouch, just to have to pick it up off the floor a few minutes after she consumed it, so I stopped giving her anything but dry food. I feel like I've dodged a bullet.

The Daughter feeds her cat and dog both Eukanuba food. They didn't know about the recall until I told them about it. They inspected their cans, and they are not in the recalled batches, thankfully. When I mentioned how insane it is that we both were buying this expensive food - Eukanuba, Nutro, Iams - only to discover it's made by the same company that makes the store brands - WalMart's Special Kitty, Safeway's Western Family, etc. - my son-in-law got all defensive. He swears they are different foods, and that the vet recommended them so they must be better. And after all, what did the vet have to gain by recommending Eukanuba over Special Kitty? Yeah, okay, and I have this swamp land in Florida for sale. I'm sure he'll keep buying Eukanuba, convinced that it's superior to the store brands. My cat is sticking to dry food. I hope no more pets get sick or die. I told my kitty I loved her today, and she's been snuggled up to me all day. She's 10, and though that's not old for a cat, especially an indoor cat, you never know.