Thursday, September 29, 2005

Why eat breakfast?

It’s raining and I am not sad about that.  It seems appropriate.  It hasn’t rained in quite a while, and we can really use the precipitation.  If it keeps up for any length of time, well, I won’t like that, but for today, it’s a nice change of pace.  Besides, it is fall now, and time for the weather to change.  So it has.

Jonathan called last night.  It’s nice when he calls us just to chat.  That doesn’t happen too often.  His once busy social life seems to have subsided somewhat.  He does seem to be doing better scholastically this year.  He is also really getting into being a photographer.  He takes his cameras (yes, plural – his digital and his (my) film camera) with him everywhere, he says.  He has assignments for the school paper, The Whitworthian, as well as for his photography class, so he needs to be prepared at all times.  It has already paid off.  One of the paper assignments was to shoot students testing out the proposed new furniture for the dorms.  Apparently, as simple an assignment as that sounds like, it means hanging around the place this new furniture is sitting for testing for who knows how long until someone comes along to test it out.  On the other hand, it means making sure you have your camera with you at all times so when you happen to see someone testing the furniture out at some random hour, you can take the picture, which is what happened to Jonathan.  He was in the vicinity of this furniture and students were sitting on it, so he got the shot.  Yay!

I am not doing very well in the weight loss/exercise department.  I really want to start working out consistently again, but our gym still has no showers and I hate showering at Shana’s house.  At the gym, I have a locker with shampoo, conditioner, razors, soap, hair dryer, and all that stuff – pretty much a duplication of what I have at home.  When I go to Shana’s to shower after working out, I have to lug all that stuff with me.  It’s just a nuisance.  I’d rather just shower at home, so I don’t go work out.  I’m such a slacker!  I will never lose weight at this rate.  I’ve been trying to be really diligent about what I eat too, and it just doesn’t seem to be making any difference at all.  In fact, I feel like I’ve gained weight, not lost it.  I have been doing something I never do – eating breakfast – because it’s supposed to be so good for you and help you lose weight.  Well, I think it’s just adding more calories to my day that weren’t there before.  I eat really healthy, high fiber cereal (either Weight Watchers or Kashi Go-Lean) with skim milk, which should be a great breakfast, but it doesn’t seem to be helping.  I’m thinking of just skipping breakfast again and maybe eating that for lunch instead (I need the fiber), maybe eating a Lean Cuisine for dinner with a salad instead of whatever I make for Tom.  It’s just such a struggle every single day and I don’t feel like I’m making any progress whatsoever.  Frustrating.