Monday, September 12, 2005

I wish I was a cat

This is so adorable. My cat is laying next to me in one of those poses that makes you just want to snuggle them up. She's curled into a ball with her face actually buried in the blanket on which she is sleeping. It's as if the light from the lamp is too bright for her and she needs to cover her eyes so she can sleep. She looks so adorable and cuddly - and comfortable. Unfortunately, as is usually the case with cats, if I did try to cuddle her, she would get all irritated and leave. She likes to be near me wherever I am - sit by me when I'm on the couch, or sit ON me, which she usually does every night after dinner, lay next to me at night in bed (I can't sleep until she plops down next to me) - but she does not want me to pet her, or touch her in any way. I think she is ticklish. If I do pet her, she will tolerate it for a minute or two, then bite me and run away. Jonathan, on the other hand, she will play with feistily (I don’t think that’s really a word, but it should be). She will sneak up on him and then run at him, bite him gently, and then run away. If he doesn't respond by chasing her down the hall or playing "hide and seek" with her, she will attack him again until he does. I think she thinks she's bigger (as in lion sized) than she is. Now she's reaching her paw out and touching my hand, as if to say "please stop typing; you're bugging me and I can't sleep."

Speaking of cats, Jonathan and his roomies want to get one. The thing is, pets are not allowed in the dorm, naturally. So, they want to make sure the cat has a home to go to if (when) it is discovered by their RD and they are forced to get rid of it. He called his sister to see if she would take it in that event. The answer was "no", of course. They have a cat and don't need another. He asked me. Ali would freak out. She's not a social cat. Heck, Tom would freak out. He just tolerates Ali. So, the answer is "no" here too. I don't think this is a good idea. I think they would spend $60 on this cat from the humane society only to have to find it a new home in a rather short time. I hope they think this through. I do think it's cute that three boys want a cat, though. They were all gung-ho about it, going to the humane society last night to check out their offerings. They decided to research all the ramifications before going ahead with the plan. I dunno... Jonathan doesn't even change Ali's cat box when he's home... who is going to do that in their room? Not a good idea.