Friday, September 09, 2005

Ch-ch-ch-changes

I usually do really well with change. Tom does not. Big change - Jonathan is away at school. I'm not nearly as sad and teary as I was last year at this time, but it's still not easy. I miss him every day. I got used to the phone call from him after work checking in, asking what I needed him to do, stuff like that. I got used to him being in his room on the computer when I came home, coming out to see what was for dinner or tell me about his latest online adventure (as if I understood 1/10th of what he told me, but at least he was sharing with me). I got used to him mowing the backyard while I mowed the front. I got used to his hulking presence just being here. And now he's not, and I miss him. Like last year at this time, he doesn't call and gets mad at me when I call him. I just need to grin and bear it. He's having fun, socializing, hopefully doing homework, and growing up - and away. Tom isn't fine with not hearing from him. He hasn't said much, but I can tell. He is annoyed, hurt, that Jonathan doesn't call. He has a harder time letting go. The only reason I have been trying to call Jonathan right now is I'm trying to get his books for him and need to know what he needs. You'd think he'd make a point of giving me that information, but he's not. I suppose I should just let him get his own books and not try to help out. Ch-ch-ch-changes.

The weather is undertaking a major change. It's been sunny and warm forever. I don't even remember the last time it really rained. Today is cloudy and the forecast is for rain today, and rain for the next several days. On the one hand, I hate it. On the other, it's going to be a nice change. The downside - if it rains today, how on earth am I going to get the yard mowed? If it really rains for the next several days, mowing is going to be a real ordeal once it stops. The lawn will probably be so long I'll have to bag, and that is a problem. I'm not sure I'm ready for summer to be over yet, either. Ch-ch-ch-changes.

At work, I have two new servers coming in. Well, one is in already, although yet to be unboxed. The other is due in today. I have to set them up, decided what "roles" each one will play, and install the additional software accordingly. It sounds like a pretty simple project, right? Think again. It means moving stuff, like our mail server, to a new machine, which is always an opportunity for a problem to develop. It also means moving our database to a new server, a huge opportunity for a problem. It really means a ton of work for the next few weeks, and I'm not really in the right frame of mind for an undertaking of this nature right now. On top of this project, the company for which I consult has some new hardware I need to install and configure, and some changes to their network they want me to implement. I have no idea where I'm going to find the time. Ch-ch-ch-changes.

Also, at work we are losing two major staff people. The head of our circulation department, and one of our two professional librarians, is retiring at the end of October. We finally found her replacement after a lengthy search. She will start on October 1. She is a really neat lady and will be a great addition to the staff, but as a result of her coming on board, with different strengths than Velta, various duties are being reassigned between her and our other librarian. That's going to be weird, stressful, and frightening for some staff. Fitting a new person into the fold is always stressful anyway. It will be interesting to see what she's really like once she starts working. During her interview, and day long visit to the library, she came across as a super neat person with whom working would be fun. I'm not usually a skeptic, and I really liked her, but people are not always as they seem during job interviews. I'm hoping for the very best.

Our youth services librarian is also leaving. Her last day is just a couple of weeks away. We have been interviewing like mad for a replacement, and apparently have 4 well-qualified candidates, two of whom are current staff members who want to job share. One of those persons would be amazing in the position, and she is working toward her MLS (masters in library science). The other is a neat lady and someone I like, but most staff have strong reservations about considering her for this position, even in a job-sharing situation. They don't feel she relates well to children. I wasn't in on their presentation, though I hear it was strong and compelling. Next week the decision will be made, so I will await it along with the rest of the staff. Ch-ch-ch-changes.

Fall approaches. The smell of change is definitely in the air. I don't know why I feel so melancholy. Ch-ch-ch-changes.