Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Tuesday Tasks

Today is going to be a crazy day. First off, I have staff meeting at which I am the official note taker because I’m the only person on staff who can type on this laptop fast enough to capture all the comments that are made by everyone. Also, I can type and talk at the same time, another trait that is in scant supply among staff persons it seems. I don’t mind really. The notes prior to my taking over were a joke. So much was left out as the person writing them out tried to summarize the comments. The true flavor of the meeting was never really evident as one read those notes. When I take notes, I type out verbatim (as much as is humanly possible) what people say. All the non-attendees have shared how much they like the new notes. Also, the previous handwritten notes were simply photocopied and put in the staff lounge for perusal by non-attendees. That meant the folks in the branch never got to read them. I email them out to everyone so they can read them at their leisure at their own computers. So, staff meeting is first on the agenda. Then, at 10 AM, moments after the meeting ends, I have to race upstairs to my office for a call from a 3M tech. He and I will spend the next couple of hours going over the setting up of our public access computers for use with the new PAMS (patron access management software) program we are installing. We will no longer check computers out to patrons at the information desk, but rather, patrons will use a smart card to check computers out to themselves. The system will automatically notify them when their time is up, and if no one is waiting, allow them to extend their time for another hour. They will be able to save favorites, and eventually, save documents on the 3M servers if they so choose. It will eliminate the need for a person at the info desk whose sole responsibility is to manage the public access computers. It is going to be so great!

After that call, I am going to get my hair cut – well, trimmed. I actually really like my hair right now, but it is in need of sprucing up. I am afraid, though, that she will cut too much off and I will hate my hair for another month. That’s always the dilemma – you get your hair to where you like it, but the bangs are too long or the ends need trimming, so you get it cut, but instead of just trimming your bangs or ends, you get a whole-head haircut that leaves it shorter and less manageable. I am going to be very adamant – just a really small trim and no thinning!!! For some reason, hairstylists always want to thin my hair. Okay, it’s thick, and maybe that means it doesn’t “move” the way they’d want it to, so they thin it to give it more “life” or whatever. I like it thick! When I curl it, it looks great and full and wonderful. I don’t want them to take that volume away. So I will insist today – no thinning!

After the haircut, it’s back to work setting up servers, workstations, and PAMS. This will be a crazy day.

Tonight is the season premiere of House!! I love that show!

I have 38 minutes to get ready for work. Gulp! Better get going.