Saturday, March 18, 2006

See-saw emotions

This has been a week of ups and downs.  I got permission to hire a young man who was one of my son’s friends in high school, though a year ahead of him in school.  He just returned from his Mormon mission.  The timing couldn’t have been better.  I needed help getting those 34 new computers installed, and this young man is one of three really bright computer geeks my son hung out with throughout high school.  Before leaving on his mission, he had worked for the school district rolling out computers and setting up classrooms.  My boss agreed to hire him on a contract basis for 40 hours.  We’re over halfway through the project and he’s only put in 23 hours so far.  

My mammogram apparently showed some areas that needed “further evaluation” so I am going back on Tuesday for more views and an ultrasound.  Yippee.

My son got two crushing blows on Friday.  He had applied for two things – a study abroad opportunity for next January and to be a resident assistant in one of the dorms.  He didn’t get either.  He was eliminated right away from the study abroad trip when the professor decided to make his first cut by eliminating those with a GPA lower than 3.5.  Though my son will get a 3.5 this semester, a disastrous first semester last year has dragged his cumulative GPA down.  The RA application was more hopeful.  He did really well in the first two phases of the application process, and his resident director told him that he had a really great interview, but he was still not selected.  She told him that he needs another year – for what?  To improve his GPA?  To just “mature” a bit more?  He will try to get some pointers from the interviewer as to where he fell short so he can work on that for next year.  He really was crushed, and it broke my heart to see how hard he took both negative outcomes.  I hope he uses these disappointments as motivation to do better and work harder, and doesn’t just give up.  His disappointment really makes me hurt for him.  Amazing how much seeing our kids in pain hurts.

My grandson turned 5 last week.  His party was today.  He got a nifty new bike, about which he was ecstatic.

The sun is out and it’s supposed to be fairly nice all week.

My son is home for Spring Break.

Duke University is in the NCAA Sweet Sixteen.

I got a really great new waterproof, breathable windbreaker for my trip to Scotland and England for my birthday.

Ups and downs, but mostly ups.