Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Brotherly love

I adore my brother.  Growing up – not so much.  He is the lone boy in a family of four children.  He falls #3 in the lineup (I am the much revered #1, of course).  He was the most annoying, aggravating brother in the world.  The three of us girls had, at varying times, signs on our bedroom doors that said “KEEP OUT – Michael, this means you!”  He had a talent for breaking things, especially my things.  If he managed to worm his way into my room, he invariably picked up something that was sitting on my dresser and started “messing with it”.  The moment I saw him pick up my stuff, I started yelling at him to put it down.  It usually went something like this:

“Michael, put that down. You’re going to break it.”
“I am not.  I’m just looking at it!”
“You look with your eyes, not your hands.”
“I’m not going to hurt it.  I just want to see it.”
“Put it down NOW or I’m going to tell Mom.”
“Go ahead and tell.  I haven’t done anything.”
“MICHAEL!  Put it down!!!”  

At that point, I generally grabbed for the item, trying to rescue it from certain breakage.  I’m sure you can envision the altercation – me grabbing, him pulling it out of my reach, me grabbing more, usually trying to subdue him and rescue my item from his grasp while yelling at him… finally culminating in him throwing the item at me with a “Fine! Here!  I was just looking at it.”  This scenario was repeated several times a week, often several times a day.  Now you understand the reason for the door signs.  Needless to say, I avoided my brother as much as possible during my teen years.

But a strange thing happened once we all grew up, which none of us girls can explain.  Our brother somehow became cool and fun and all three of us adore him.  We can’t seem to get enough of him.  He and I became very close, talking on the phone several times a week.  He lived in Spokane for about 5 years, so we saw each other a lot.  He actually became kind of wise!  I found myself going to him for advice on more than one occasion.  I am still not sure how that happened.  Maybe credit should go to his wife.  She is amazing, and how she puts up with his antics on a daily basis is beyond me.  She deserves a medal – or a special place in Heaven.  You see, Michael, despite his intelligence, wisdom, and age (he’ll be 50 next year), is still very much that annoying, aggravating kid a lot of the time.  He is zany, spontaneous, witty (a talent I sorely lack but that he has in spades), and unabashedly outspoken.  Did I mention, I adore him?
He has three great kids; the two boys miniature Michaels.  At ages 13 and 9, they already share his sense of humor and wit.  I hate them.  Talking to them on the phone is an adventure in hilarity.  His daughter is a typical teen, totally into fashion, friends, and fun.  So…why all this about Michael?  He is coming to visit!!!!  I haven’t seen them for almost four years, so I am really excited.  They will be here tomorrow, so I will be taking the day off to spend it with them.  They are on a whirlwind tour, visiting friends in Spokane, as well as me and my family, during their kids’ Spring Break from school.  Did I mention I am really excited? I’ve spent two days cleaning my house in preparation for their visit.  I adore my brother!  Now, if only my sisters could be here too…..

Oh… big  news… Edy is cancer free!!!  Check out her blog (link to the left – Hodgepodge).  God is so awesome!!!

Today is a great day.