Friday, March 03, 2006

I did go to they gym, by the way

So, you know, back when I wasn't posting and wasn't on my computer, and you weren't reading a post that wasn't there? Well, I actually did get dressed and go to the gym. I only managed a pathetic imitation of a workout, but I suppose even that is better than nothing. Unfortunately, aside from a hellacious leg workout on Sunday, which left me so sore I could barely walk, I haven't been to the gym since. I had good reasons.

I had a birthday Wednesday. Last Saturday was my daughter-in-law's birthday. We went to a Mediterranean restaurant that has been highly recommended. I was disappointed. I anticipated Greek food. The only thing that resembled Greek food was the feta cheese in almost every dish, making them unpalatable to my husband, and the fact that many dishes contained lamb. The food resembled someone's idea of what Greek food might be with an Italian influence - sort of. The food was okay - nothing to write home about. I doubt we will ever eat there again. My husband sat on the edge of his chair the entire time, appearing to be searching for an escape hatch through which he could flee. The odd smells of feta, lamb, and garlic were almost more than he could take. At the meal's end we did have some baklava - again, their interpretation of baklava. The "real" think is multiple layers of phyllo and a nut and honey mixture, and is cut in small pieces - maybe 1 inch by 2 inches. This was a large square about 3 inches square that had one layer of a pistachio/honey filling between two layers of phyllo. My husband did like that, and said, after hesitantly tasting it at my prodding, "okay, I do like Greek food". I think he would like REAL Greek food. Sadly, we had none of that Saturday.

Yesterday, my daughter made me breakfast - a nice frittata. Then, at work, a coworker blessed me with an amazing chocolate espresso caramel cheesecake. I had two pieces and didn't share with anyone at work. My husband hates cheesecake, so I rarely get any. This was amazing - and it's all mine. Then, my husband and I went to a local restaurant that gives you a free meal, including pie and a beverage, on your birthday. My daughter and grandkids met us there. I had a great Reuben sandwich and got peach pie to go. My husband ate it later that night. I was too busy downing another piece of cheesecake to care. I got some nice gifts from coworkers, including a bouquet of tulips and one of asiatic lilies - a bit of spring right on my desk! Then it snowed. It always snows on March 8. It snowed more than it has snowed all winter. School closed for the snow today for the first time in two years. The power went off twice last night, waking me up both times. I got about 4 hours of sleep. Today, the day after my 51st birthday, I had my first mammogram in 16 years. That was fun. Now I am on my way home to watch American Idol, The OC, and House. I may take a sick day tomorrow - especially if I eat more cheesecake tonight.