Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Making Peace

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God." Matt 5:9

Charlie's post here got me thinking. I've often considered myself a peacemaker. Most people who know me would agree that I am the one who tries to get people to resolve their differences, who tries to see the other person's point of view, who strives to keep the peace as much as possible. But does that really make me a peacemaker? I wondered what it meant to be a peacemaker, so I Googled the verse. I found an interesting site that had this definition:

"Peacemaking tries to build bridges to people. It does not want the animosity to remain. It wants reconciliation. It wants harmony. And so it tries to show what may be the only courtesy the enemy will tolerate, namely, a greeting. The peacemaker looks the enemy right in the eye and says, "Good morning, John." And he says it with a longing for peace in his heart, not with a phony gloss of politeness to cover his anger. A peacemaker longs for peace, and works for peace, and sacrifices for peace. But the attainment of peace may not come."

Ah, so if I aim for peace, strive for peace, but do not achieve it, that doesn't mean I am not a peacemaker. The article quoted above states that peacemaking does not necessarily mean peace-achieving. Good news. Though I really do strive for peace with my coworkers, family members, friends and foes alike, I am not always successful. It's not that I hold onto animosity - quite the contrary. I am very quick to forgive - some might say too quick. No. It seems that, despite my best efforts, convincing or helping others to give up their grudges, let go of their anger, or forget their hurt feelings is something I find quite difficult to accomplish. It seems folks are often kind of partial to their grudges, to their pity parties, to the anger, bitterness, and resentment they've allowed to overtake their lives and their relationships. I wonder what sort of satisfaction it brings them. I wonder what they'd do if they ever had to deal with a real problem in their lives. I wonder if they'd handle a diagnosis of cancer as graciously as Edy has. I wonder if they'd set out to mend fences, to make peace, or if they'd wallow in their misery. I'd like to think the best, and imagine everyone making peace, but there I go, putting on those rose-colored glasses again. I must admit, the world looks so much better with them on.

There are no brilliant conclusions at which I've arrived, or which I have a burning desire to share. I haven't found the secret path to peace, worldwide or personal. I wish I had! I was just pondering, thanks to Charlie. Say, Charlie, would you maybe stop making me think so much, please? Thanks!

Peace out!

PS - Did I mention it's supposed to be -4 F tonight? That's -20 Celsius for your folks outside the US. Brrrrrrrrrrrr!