Monday, February 13, 2006

The haunted treadmill - conclusion

The moment of truth had arrived.  A choice must be made – go on to higher levels, or conclude my walk without attaining my goal.  Not one to shrink from a challenge, I hit the up button once again.  7% incline.  Music blaring in my ears, I walked along, bobbing side to side in time with the beat of the song – Gloria Estefan’s Conga, a great workout song.  I tried not to think about whether or not I could decline the machine.  Halfway through the song, I hit the up button again.  8% was grueling.  I had to lower my speed.  I was slipping backward a bit with each step at 4.2 MPH.  Fortunately, the speed portion of the treadmill worked perfectly.  I slowed a mere .1 MPH, but it made all the difference in the world.  I couldn’t maintain this steep an incline for 2 minutes, though.  I haven’t been working out long enough.  Time to see if the decline works.  I hit the down button.  The motor hummed, the incline didn’t change.  I tried again. Again, humming motor, no change in the incline.  I tried the up button.  The treadmill raised.  I hit it again, and it raised again.  I was now, theoretically, at the highest incline possible – 10% - though the computer showed only 8%.  I hit the up button until the incline showed 10%, then hit the decline button.  Success!  The treadmill lowered 1%.  I waited a few seconds, then hit it again.  Again it lowered.  Perhaps the secret was to wait a few seconds between attempts to lower the incline.  I continued this process until I got to 4%.  At that point, further attempts to lower the incline failed.  The treadmill was stuck at 4%.  Feeling smugly successful at having vanquished the demon that possessed the treadmill sufficiently enough to allow me a modicum of control, I finished up my walk at 4%, burning a respectable 366 calories in my half hour stroll.  The woman next to me smiled approvingly.  I had conquered my fear and, for the most part, the machine.  I hit the stop button.  The machine lowered into place, awaiting its next victim.  Perhaps I should notify the gym owner about the treadmill’s curious behavior.  Perhaps he could call in an exorcist.  To the showers….