Thursday, February 22, 2007

Sad goodbyes

Several of my blog friends have noted the departure of a few of our blog buddies from blogopia. It makes me sad when people whose work I enjoy reading stop writing. I know there are lots of reasons for terminating a blog. Real life gets in the way. Situations in one's life that prompted one to blog no longer exist, or no longer serve as motivation to blog. Maybe it's just disillusionment with blogopia, the realization that "knowing" someone via their blog isn't necessarily really knowing them at all, a desire to step back from the "putting it all out there" mentality that technology has promulgated, or any other array of reasons. Nevertheless, it saddens me when communication is cut off abruptly, and seemingly permanently. Maybe I'm weird, but I like hearing what my blog friends have to say, or feel is worthy of posting on any particular day. And when I stumble upon a new blog that piques my curiosity, I like to go back and read the archives, to get to know the blogger a little better, to understand why today's post says what it says based upon what past posts have said. That's why I keep archives available on my blog, and why it makes me crazy when other bloggers don't. When I "met" charlie, of Highland Dreams fame, I read back as far as I could to get a sense of who he was. Thanks to charlie, I met S1, Amy, Lorraine, Dan, Iwanski, Diane, Therese, Alan, Allan, Grish, and a host of others. Thanks to Lorraine, I met JP, SCG, JLow, Eva, and the rest of you, and thanks to me, you have all met Rosemary. What a nice circle. But now charlie has stopped blogging - probably never to return, as have Eva, Edy, LA, and countless others. My blog roll needs to be modified, and I don't want to do it. I keep holding out hope these people will come back, will realize they are missed, they were appreciated, they brought something special to our day, and we want them back. But that's selfish of me. They have their reasons, and I must respect them. But I still miss them, and I want them to know that. So if you're still reading this blog, charlie, Evangeline, Legal Alien, Amy, and Edy - I miss your posts. I miss hearing your thoughts, your point of view, however different from mine it might be, your insightful comments, your writing. I know you have reasons for leaving, and I respect them, but that doesn't make me miss you any less. Bon voyage mes amis.