Thursday, February 15, 2007

Is that Paris calling?

So, get this. The Spouse had to bid his vacation last February for the fiscal year June 06-May 07. YS had not been accepted into the France Study Program at that time. We decided on some weeks throughout the year - Thanksgiving Week, Week after Christmas, July 4th Week, and one other week I can't remember. Because every week he bid had a holiday in it, he got 4 extra days to bid, in addition to his 2 personal days and 2 floating holidays. He sprinkled those extra days throughout the year, with most of them falling between January and June 1, all on Fridays. Then YS gets accepted to the FSP two weeks later - and announces he will have Spring Break free. His Spring Break coincides with most of the public schools' spring break, and that week is no longer available. We toyed with the idea of me going to France and hanging out with YS, letting him show me around Paris and whatnot, but then he hooked up with some of his classmates for the trip to Italy - a much more intriguing week than hanging with his mother.

Monday, The Spouse's workgroup is told that there is now a week available in March for vacation, if someone wants it. The Spouse has 5 days he hasn't taken yet - Fridays he was scheduled to have off in February, March, April, and May. "So," I say to him, "it is possible to go to Paris for that week?" Maybe. He doesn't know when the week is yet. Naturally, I jumped online immediately and started checking airfares. The next day, he finds out the week is March 17-25. I find airfares for a little over $800 each. I'm ready to book the tickets! The Spouse is not so sure. He tells me that this is so sudden (he doesn't do spontaneous very well), Paris isn't even on his list of places he wants to visit (???????), he'd rather go back to Scotland (yeah, I want to do that again someday), blah, blah, blah. I'm like a racehorse in the gate, chomping at the bit, ready to run, and he's the jockey pulling on my reins, and I do not like it one bit. I've been with this man long enough to know that pushing him is not the way to get what I want, so I let it go - as far as he knows. In the meantime, I've booked the hotel (I can cancel it), which is the same hotel YS will be staying at, and I'm one click away from booking the flights. I asked YS what he thought, and his only concern is how much time he will have to be in class each day while in Paris. With this professor, they are only in class from 9 to noon, but he has no idea what it will be like with the next professor. So, he asked me to email the professor and see what he says. We'll go from there.

So, gang, I MAY be going to Paris in just over a month! Is that amazing or what? And if I don't get to go, it's okay. I will go some day, some day.