Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Vintage music

I read the blogs of a lot of "kids" - people my son's age - and they almost always mention whatever music they are currently listening to. Despite my "over-the-hill" status, I do like a lot of the music they like. But every now and then I get a "hankering" for some vintage music. I got sucked into the BMG music club - you know, buy one CD, get 12 free - and for the first time in years, I have been buying CDs. I bought some current stuff - Matchbox Twenty, Norah Jones, Josh Groban, Three Doors Down, Sum 41 - but this last batch was comprised of some albums from my college days. I just got Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player by Elton John and have so been enjoying singing along to every track on the CD. Wow, what memories! I also got the Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack. My girlfriend and I went to lunch the other day and I played that CD. She and I both were just rocking out to Stayin' Alive. Kids do not appreciate that music. The memories that come pouring in... songs can take you back so vividly it's amazing. I remember the parties I threw when I was in college living in married student housing. We had a truly magnificent stereo system with top-of-the-line KLH speakers, a Philips straight-arm turntable, a super expensive cartridge on the turntable, top notch amp and preamp... it was excellent equipment. We'd play our albums once and copy them to tape, then carefully put them away so they didn't get scratched. I was a huge Elton John fan then and DSMIOTPP was a big hit in the early 70's. We played that tape dozens of times. It was especially good dance music and we did a lot of dancing at my parties. Yeah, those were the days - Elton John, Chicago, Cat Stevens, Loggins & Messina, James Taylor, Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan.... good music, good dancing. Cat Stevens should go back to being Cat Stevens. Ah, the memories. Even more vintage is the music my dad played when I was growing up. I bought some of that too - Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, the classics. I have my CD player in the car loaded with Elton John (DSMIOTPP & Love Songs), Rod Stewart's Great American Songbook: Volume II, Norah Jones Come Away with Me, The Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack, and Los Lonely Boys, who I love, by the way! The house CD player had Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Matchbox Twenty, John Mayer, Three Doors Down, and Harry Connick, Jr. Eclectic, eh?