Thursday, November 04, 2004

The Day After Tomorrow

Well, how psychic of me to predict that half the voters would be happy, half unhappy since the outcome was 51%/48%. Gee, that was a tough call. I am one of the happy voters. My coworkers, on the other hand, were quite grumpy yesterday. Some were even angry. As one of only 3 or 4 conservatives of the 40 employees, I was in an unenviable position. Fortunately, I was consumed with writing a report for the Board yesterday so stayed cloistered in my office most of the day.

The day started off uniquely. My Audi was ready to be picked up from the body shop in Spokane so I rode with my husband to the FedEx station in Coeur d'Alene. It was actually nice to spend that hour with him. We talked about all sorts of stuff we don't usually have time to talk about. We decided that now that Jonathan has gone off to college we really need to spend time together as a couple, not just as parents and grandparents, which has consumed the past 25 years of our lives. We're going to try to go on a "date" one night each weekend. Since we have so little time during the week - maybe an hour each night - after he gets home from work until bedtime, the weekends are usually filled with all the chores we haven't managed to get done all week. Then we visit Jonathan, see the older kids and grandkids, and so on. It's been really hectic, especially since we have three aspen trees that have yet to divest themselves of their leaves. Each day they drop a few thousand leaves onto the lawn and yet they clearly have several million left to deposit. When will it end? Last weekend the yard was leaf free and beautiful. Monday brought a heavy frost. The front lawn was again a carpet of aspen leaves, to Tom's chagrin. He had even mowed our neighbor's front yard (they were out of town) in an effort to keep the maple leaves covering their lawn from blowing into our yard. It too was covered in another round of leaves Monday morning. The mower and leaf blower/vac will get another workout Saturday. But the plan is, after the chores, after the leaf cleanup, we will head to Spokane to visit Jonathan, then take in a movie and dinner, just the two of us. I don't even remember when we did that last. It should be fun.

Oh, back to yesterday - the Audi was ready. I rode to CdA with Tom where I was picked up by our oldest son, Tom Jr. He lives in Spokane, about 25 minutes from the FedEx station in CdA. He drove me to the body shop where I learned my car was not quite ready. We were having 3M's "Invisi-shield" applied to the front fenders to help protect them from rock chips (we already have it all over the front end of the car, a sort of invisible bra), and it wasn't done yet. So, I rode to Tom's office, did some work remotely (I love technology!), and waited for the delivery of my car. It was nice to visit with Tom. We talked about the election and how happy we were with its outcome. At 10AM Gary Larson of Precision Collision delivered my car. It looks perfect! He's amazing. The best news was that he asked me to do a website for his company in exchange for the work he did on my car! Yippee! I had been teasing him about not having a website, but I didn't think he was ready to do one yet. That will be my next project. Since I am so impressed with them, their integrity, and their work, doing their site will be a piece of cake.

So, I got my car, had to stop by Appleway Audi to have the headlights readjusted and synched with the computer (one headlight had to be loosened during the body work), was told that my salesman had quit last week - a huge shock since he has worked there for 5 years and has sold us 5 cars - and then headed back to Sandpoint and work. I got to work by 12:30 and jumped right on my report to the Board, spending the rest of the day on that project. Today I must finalize it. Hopefully, the information will be sufficient for the Board to make a decision to allow us to go ahead with the purchase of our replacement computers. Every day that goes by I move that much closer to having to rebuild yet another computer whose demise is imminent. I am beginning to think I should just rebuild every PC in the place and be done with it, removing those that really are in failing health, upgrading the RAM on those that must remain in action for the next two years, and leaving gaping holes where we have no equipment that can do the job. I have yet to decide how to tackle that project.

I'm thinking of doing NaNoWriMo. It's already 4 days into it, but I think I should do it. I have always wanted to write a novel. What a perfect opportunity to try it. I'm pondering it. Jonathan's roommate, Nathan, has begun his and it's quite good. Speaking of Nathan, check out his blog for two measly photos of their dorm room rearrangement. I've chastised him for not putting up more pix. Perhaps he will do so. If not, I'll take my camera and shoot pix myself. Kids. ;)