Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Movies, movies, movies

It seems the theaters are filled with movies I want to see. Why does that happen? When I have time to see movies, there's not a darned thing showing I care to see. When I have zero time to go to the movies, practically every screen is playing something I can't wait to see. We did manage to take in a movie weekend before last. We saw "The Incredibles" (we being my husband, Jonathan, and myself) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I get a kick out of animated films that you have to be an adult to really appreciate. I remember back when The Flintstones first aired on TV. We wanted to stay up and watch the show but my parents told us it was a grown-up cartoon. I remember sneaking down the hall, peering over the sofa from about 8 feet behind it, trying to see the TV and this "grown-up cartoon". I could only imagine what sort of [to my mind] x-rated stuff this cartoon depicted that made it unsuitable for children. My efforts to actually see the TV were futile since my parents' heads made better doors than windows. I would just lay on the floor in the hallway and listen to the show. Of course, it made no sense to me whatsoever in that context, but hey, it was a grown-up cartoon and I was at least listening to it!

Back to The Incredibles. It is definitely not a kid cartoon. It has kids and their mom being shot down by bad buys, bad guys trying to kill them, and various other forms of mayhem that children could have a tough time with. The humor, the obvious parodying of the Bond films, the set designs, all point to an animated film that is directed at adults, not kids. It is a fun flick that I'll likely see again. One of my all-time favorite animated films is Shrek. I had not yet seen Shrek 2 so picked it up at Wal-Mart this past weekend. What a hoot! I love the Shrek franchise! We three watched it Saturday night, although Jonathan fell asleep not far into it (doesn't college life consist of primarily sleeping and eating?) so he took it back to school with him to watch when he's more wide awake, say 2:00 or 3:00 AM some school night. I am also a big fan of Finding Nemo, especially Dori. Ellen DeGeneres does a terrific job with that little fish. Great movie.

I have heard Ray is amazing. I am a big fan of Ray Charles anyway, so a bio-pic about him is right up my alley. Friday Night Lights, Shark Tale, Alfie, and Polar Express still await my viewing. I read an article about how Polar Express was made. It is amazing the work that went into its production - and the money. Jonathan saw it and said it was good. I am looking forward to seeing it. But, the way things go, every one of these flicks will be out of the theaters before I get a chance to see them and I'll be waiting for months for Netflix to have them. Isn't that how it goes?