Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Step away from the scissors!

Oh, how I wish someone had said that to me this morning. Had they stopped me, I wouldn't look like the kindergarten version of Gina. I would look like the Gina in my profile photo instead. But there was no one around to stop me this morning. Here's the sad tale.

I had decided to go "bangless". Everyone is doing it, (see photo) and it looks so great. I figured it was time to do away with the bangs, get a hip new look. I had pretty much achieved my goal, as far as doing away with bangs was concerned. The hip new look, not so much. My bangs had grown out, and it was not a good look on me. In case you hadn't noticed, I have a rather large forehead. I don't have a beautiful, chisel-featured face like that of the lovely Kelly Rowan.


Being the impatient Italian that I am, I took matters into my own hands. Now, I am not a novice at this. I have trimmed my bangs before, and had them turn out just fine. But I've never actually cut bangs into a head that had no bangs. That alone should have stopped me. It didn't. I got out the scissors - not the nice, sharp kind that professionals use. No. I have those old barber style scissors with the little hook thingee on the thumb hole... you know the kind, right? And I've had these for probably 20 years, so you can imagine how sharp they are. That was mistake number one.

I parted off a very small section of hair for my bangs. I didn't want big heavy bangs like this photo, and with my thick hair, that happens a lot. That's just too many bangs for me. So, I took a very small section of hair, pulled it down straight, and then started cutting from the side of my face toward my part, in an angle, like I've seen my hairdresser do a million times. I cut them longish, or so I thought. I no sooner let go of the hair after I cut it, and my bangs sprang up almost to my hairline! I looked like the 5 year-old who decided to cut her own hair, and whose mom had to try to fix her chop job. Actually, I looked just like I did when I was 4 or 5, and Mom would cut these horrendously short, crooked things that were supposed to pass as bangs. Oh. My. God. What had I done? And how could I fix it? Well, how else?! Cut some MORE bangs, only longer, to cover my blooper. Makes sense, right?


So, I take another small section, pull it down, but this time cut them a lot longer. Perfect! But how insane was I to think this would work? The short ones are just so short that they are unhideable. So now I have these silly longer bangs that sit over the "5 year-old with scissors" bangs. It's so sad. Fortunately, once I washed and dried my hair, I was able to camouflage my hack job, for the most part. So, here I am without bangs, before my hack job:
gina 2007 and here I am after the hack job. shortbangs1 Sad, isnt it?

Like I said, I needed a savior, someone to shout, "Gina, step away from the scissors!" My hairdresser father would have a stroke if he saw me.