Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Post-holiday mess

Lorraine was bemoaning the mess she was facing post-holiday. I feel her pain. While I magically escaped the overflowing recycling bins part of her mess by making sure that I didn't serve a single holiday meal, or host a single holiday get-together at my house (my daughter's or my oldest son's homes were the venues for those events), I still have a big mess to clean up. I have not taken down one single Christmas decoration yet. I don't plan to do anything until the weekend. I think I'm actually going to miss some of them, like my village. I love my village. It started off with pieces from K-Mart. Then I splurged and bought some Department 56 pieces. I could go broke buying Department 56 pieces. I didn't buy any new pieces this year, but it took a lot of willpower. So, here is a photo this year's village setup.

P1010006
My Village

This is the first time I have put it on the TV, and I loved it there. I could keep this up all year, really. I just love the little scene. The buildings in the back are the K-Mart models. The more detailed pieces in the front, including the people, the fly fisherman, the bridge and stream, are all Department 56 pieces. The Christmas tree is to the right of the TV. Unfortunately, every picture I took of it came out blurry. I will try one last time before I take it down. Here's what the hearth looked like:
P1010024
Hearth Decor (The Santa hanging above the window is one of two that belonged to my mom. They play "Jingle Bells" and are really, really old and special to me.)
And here's the sofa table with my snow globes and old time Santas:

P1010020
snow globes

So, that's a bit of the Christmas decor waiting to be deconstructed. Next post will contain some Christmas pictures, and some snow photos.