Monday, October 09, 2006

The view from here is exquisite

The transformation is complete. I have gone from a blind-as-a-bat, squinting to see the clock upon awaking, glasses wearing nerd to a now-my-vision-is-better-than-20/20 superhero. Okay, maybe I exaggerated a little - I wasn't really blind as a bat. It does feel almost superheroic, though. Someone who has always had perfect vision can't possibly understand. My fellow myopics know exactly what I mean. We've always dreamed of being able to see when we awaken in the middle of the night without first groping in the dark for our glasses. We've imagined what it would be like to swim underwater and actually see where we are going; or in my case, opening our eyes after diving in without the ensuing panic upon the realization that our contacts were in and they have probably now floated away. We've fantasized about falling asleep on a train, plane, or in a car, during a long trip, and not waking to dried out, hazy contact lenses, and eyes so scratchy it's obvious the sandman was on a bender and dumped his entire load into our eyes. Those were my fantasies. They are now my reality. I can't help but marvel at the technology that has made this possible. I wonder about the first people on whom this technology was tested. Were they so blind that the potential hazards were heavily outweighed by the potential benefits? I'm sure that information is available, and I'll probably look it up. But I can't imagine there is much that is more frightening than messing with your vision. I thank them for their bravery, the bravery that has made my better-than-20/20 vision possible today. It is truly miraculous. For those of you who are afraid - don't be. It is so easy, so relatively painless (there is some discomfort on day one, but day two is pain free), and so life altering, that if you are a candidate, you really should do it. If your corneas are too thin for Lasik, then do PRK. While it is more painful (the watering, scratchy eyes last two or three days instead of one), it too is well worth it. My daughter is on day three today following PRK this past Saturday, and is doing really well. On day two she already had 20/30 vision - an outcome they don't generally expect until day 5 or 6 with PRK. We both agree this was money very well spent (about $1700 for each of us) and we'd both do it again in a heartbeat.