Thursday, October 05, 2006

Google bombs, digital natives, and lasik

Tomorrow is the big day. The left eye gets the Lasik treatment and I will have perfect vision in BOTH eyes. Yay! I can't wait.

Today was interesting. I attended an Idaho Library Association conference in Moscow, ID. I went expressly to listen to Stephen Abrams, VP of Innovation at SirsiDynix. He is trying to help librarians and libraries move into the 21st century, to embrace technology, to look at the services they offer and whether they're reaching their audience, and to figure out how to reach today's teens more effectively. He is talking about a paradigm shift in how we view the delivery of services to patrons. He is really motivational and thought-provoking. If you are even remotely interested, this article about Digital Natives is terrific. Stephen's blog is here. It's pretty library oriented, so it probably won't interest most of you, but the digital natives site is great, especially if you're a parent of a teen. Heck, I think it's interesting for anyone.

One thing I learned today that I didn't know was that Google doesn't just index the web and provide results in an unbiased way. The results are actually driven by various special interest (translated political and religious) groups to provide results that support their positions. They're called "google bombs". Want more info? Click here. Dumb me. I should have known this, and I didn't. So, I learned something new today. Lots of somethings new. I love days like today.