Thursday, October 19, 2006

So much to blog about....and so little time

By this time - 8:02 AM - I had expected to have completed a couple of blog posts. Unfortunately, that is not the case. I have been helping my blog pal Lorraine of "Here's The Thing" fame, figure out why Word is misbehaving for her. It's one of the kinds of mysteries I enjoy solving. I know, I'm sick. So, since I have so little time now, I will post a couple of highlights.

Parents' Weekend - last weekend was Whitworth College's annual Parents' Weekend. The weather could not have been better. It was the perfect autumn day. The day began with breakfast at Shari's with our friends, the Harrisons, parents of the Son's freshman roommate, with whom we connected the day we first met. They live near Portland, so we only get to see them a couple of times a year. This year, their daughter is a new freshman at Whitworth, so they have two kids to be parents of during this event. We had a hurried breakfast, then returned to campus for our "mini college" - one of about 5 different presentations from which we get to choose, put on by professors, to give us parents a taste of what our kids experience daily. We went to one called "Evolution vs. Faith" by Dr. Michael Sardinia, a professor of advanced biology and a veterinarian. It was fantastic! When I have time, I'll share what he had to say. It really was a wonderful class, as all the mini colleges we've attended have been. I am so jealous! I want to go back to college!

After the mini college, we had lunch (college dorm food - not the best), then went to the football game, which was also the Homecoming game. Whitworth killed their opponent, Lewis Clark College. We left at halftime because it was such a rout. The final score was 70-3. The next few hours we just hung out with The Son. At 7:30 PM we went to the auditorium for the fall production - The Pirates of Penzance. I LOVED it. The Spouse wasn't as thrilled. He doesn't go in much for theatrical productions. I did catch him chuckling several times, though. The performance was stellar. They even customized some of the lyrics of I am the very model of a modern major general to incorporate several Whitworth traditions. The audience roared. It really was a delightul performance. The Son did not accompany us. At the end of the show, we bid the Harrisons goodbye as we would not be returning on Sunday. We picked The Son up from his dorm and went to a late dinner, returned him to his dorm, and embarked on the long drive home at about 11:30 PM, arriving home at 1:15 AM. What a great day!

Next.... the follow-up eye appointments....