Thursday, April 20, 2006

Moderately speaking

I just finished reading a few posts on some of the blogs of my bloggy friends who hold political views that differ from mine. Actually, it seems most of my blog friends have different political stances than I have, and that's okay - at least, it is with me. I can't speak for them. Perhaps they think otherwise about me. During my perusal of these other blogs, I have come to the conclusion that I am not quite what I have thought myself to be for the past several years. If labels were being handed out, I would have opted for the "conservative" label. After all, I am a Christian and I am a registered Republican. Those traits pretty much mark one as a conservative. But the reality is, I'm a moderate. I can't help but wonder if that admission will make people think less of me. Does it mark me as wishy-washy? Is a moderate what the Bible is talking about when it speaks of being lukewarm? I hope not!

By nature, as far back as I can recall, I have been a peacemaker. I try desperately to see both sides of a conflict. If I am part of the conflict, I try to see the other person's point of view. If I am mediating a conflict, I try to get the parties involved to see things from each other's point of view. I just want peace. That is not to say I won't fight to the death for things I believe in, to protect my family, or for someone who is wronged and can't fight for themselves. I will and I have (okay, obviously not literally to the death.) I will also debate to the bitter end a subject on which I have a strongly held position, based on facts, evidence, and experience. I am quite tenacious, quite persuasive, and if nothing else, I can talk a lot, fast, and with great emotion. My opponents usually just tire out. :)

Seriously, there are some subjects on which I can debate for a long, long time. Curiously, those discussions are rarely on politics or religion. I've said this before; I don't mind respectful, meaningful, spirited discussions on these topics. But too often, my experience has been that discussing these matters devolves into little more than childish "I'm right, you're wrong" arguments that do nothing to enlighten either party on the other's point of view. That sort of "discussion" has a very negative physical affect on me. I tend to simply walk away, metaphorically and physically. So, my blog friends who are of the more liberal persuasion, please don't shake your head at me. I read your posts. I agree with some of what you write. I disagree with probably more. But I don't hold you in disdain because you and I have opposing viewpoints. I won't try to convince you to see things my way. I may ask you to clarify your position once in a while (thanks, Sara, for doing that when I commented on your blog), and I hope you will oblige me. I hope we can disagree respectfully, without shaking our heads and clucking our tongues behind each other's backs as if to say "poor idiot. What on earth is his/her problem?"

So, why do I think I'm a moderate? Well, as much as I think the media has a huge influence over our perception of politicians by showing them to us in a positive or negative light based upon their (the media's) political persuasion, I have to say I don't always agree with President Bush's decisions. I think the media has gone out of their way to portray him as an idiot, and giving him far too much credit/blame for things that Congress has much more influence over than he does, but he has made some decisions and statements that I'm not thrilled with.

Also, despite my Christian beliefs, I don't think the gay marriage issue is something to get worked up over. To me, it's just semantics. Gays are already living together in "committed relationships" and are allowed civil unions in most states. What's the big deal if they have a ceremony and are considered "married"? We've destroyed the "sanctity of marriage" in this country by allowing divorces to be granted so easily, so that argument carries little weight with me. If people are against gay marriage because homosexuality is a sin, and by allowing them to marry we are condoning their sin, well, I believe four things - you cannot legislate morality, no sin is worse than another, God is in control, and we are not God. Being gay is no worse a sin than cheating on your taxes, or gossiping about your coworker. Who are we to cast the first stone? If it's about sin, why is the outrage not there over heterosexual couples who live together without benefit of marriage - or famous people who have children without being married? I don't see us trying to pass laws against that. We need to stop judging others and focus on ourselves, our shortcomings, our relationship with the Lord, and our example to the world. Who did Jesus hang out with when he was walking the earth? Not the Brad Pitts and Angelina Jolies, not the Bill Clintons and Bill Gates. He hung out with the homeless guy you pass every morning on your way to get your latte. He hung out with the streetwalker in the red light district. He hung out with the ambulance chasing lawyer. I hope he'd have hung out with me.

There are other topics on which I have adopted a moderate stance. I can't think of any in particular at this moment, but suffice it to say, while I do have strong conservative leanings, I find myself adopting a moderate stance more and more often, to my husband's chagrin.