Thursday, April 20, 2006

It's begun

Mowing season. In one day, the weather went from downpour after downpour, to moments of sunshine, to a full day of sun. Grass is amazing stuff. It can go from brown and dormant to spring green and growing like a weed overnight. Ours did. In just a a couple of days it went from short and tidy looking and still dormant to too long to mow with the mulching mower. That was Sunday. Not only was it too long, but about half an inch below the tops of the grass blades, it was a soggy, boggy mess. But we mowed anyway. Now, the backyard has grass turds all over it. That's what I call the clumps of grass that the mulcher leaves behind when it can't cope with the length and sogginess of the grass. Hundreds and hundreds of grass turds dot our lawn. We tried to pick them up, rake them up even, to no avail. They just break into grass turd pellets, like rabbit pellets, and bury themselves deep into the lawn. My shoes, after that first round of mowing, looked like grass slippers. No, not glass slippers, GRASS slippers. You couldn't tell that I had black loafers under the grass. My jeans were green from the hem to about the top of my ankle. My hands looked like they belonged to a Martian, green and slimey. I hate this time of year. And guess what I get to do tonight? Yeah, round two. At least it's shorter, and not wet. But still.... it's only mid-April. I'm not ready for this.