Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Be it resolved....

I claim I don't make New Year's resolutions, and I don't - conciously. Well, that is, I don't make a list or state "my New Year's resolution is to" do thus and so. But the reality is, I do make them, quietly, in the back of my mind, all the while denying that I have done so. I think most of us do. It's only natural, I think, to set some sort of goal, make some sort of commitment to change/do better/improve/whatever when we reach various milestones. The beginning of a New Year, though simply a turning of a page in a calendar, carries a sort of emotional or psychological heft that says "this is a time for doing something better". I think birthdays, especially those magically numbered ones like 30, 40, 50, and so on, anniversaries, life events like job changes, retirements, graduations, weddings, and births, and the beginning of a new year, all cause us to pause, look at what we've done, where we're headed, and how we're going about getting there, and make, or at least promise to make, adjustments as needed to help us get there in the best shape (not just physically) possible. So, despite my claim that I don't make resolutions at the beginning of the new year, I have to admit, there are things I've determined to do differently. Wish me luck, and I'll do the same for you.