Friday, December 16, 2005

Moonshadow

I was on the phone yesterday with Jeff, my rep from CDW-G (the government sales department of CDW) chatting about college basketball (go Duke! go Zags!), NFL playoffs (go Colts!), and other sports-related matters, when I looked out the window, and stopped in mid-sentence. It was about 4:00 PM. My window faces east. I look out over most of the town of Sandpoint (my office is on the second floor). To the east is a range of mountains that are right about where the borders of Montana and Idaho meet. This time of year, they are snow-capped, and on sunny days, they are glorious. At dusk, they are usually painted in pinks and oranges, set off by a deepening blue sky. This view serves to remind me just how lucky I am live here, despite how I might grouse about the snow or grey skies or unceasingly wet weather in the spring. Yesterday, what stopped me was not only the beauty of the mountains, but the shockingly low-hung full moon, sitting just above the treetops a bit to the northeast, brilliantly illuminated, like a street lamp just turned on. It was still so light out, and yet the moon shone so brightly, and sat so huge above the trees. It felt like you could reach out and touch it. I shared the scene with Jeff, exclaiming the beauty of the scene. He was in Chicago, where it was well past dark. He couldn't see the moon - something about a storm in his neck of the woods - so viewed it vicariously through my description. I meant to take a photo of it, but I got busy and forgot. I'll watch for the scene to repeat itself tonight, and hopefully take a shot of it to post herein.

This morning is awash with its own sort of beauty, as the eastern sky (my living room faces east too) welcomes the sun to paint it in delightful magentas and brilliant oranges. It will be sunny and cold today - 14 or 18 degrees for our high I think - a beautiful day indeed. Cheers!