Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Diet Killers

Wow, did I pick a bad time of year to decide to stick to a diet.  I officially started last Monday.  I stuck to it, more or less, until Friday.  Friday was our staff Christmas breakfast, which meant many delicious foodstuffs to be had.  One of my coworkers brought in three different cheesecakes.  THREE!  One was chocolate, one was something kind of chocolatey but with some wonderful carmelized crust, and one I didn’t try because it looked like it had blueberries in it and they are not my favorite fruit.  I never get cheesecake because my husband hates the stuff – can’t even stand the smell of it – and yet, it has to be my all time favorite dessert.  Naturally, I had a piece of both of the chocolate-based cheesecakes.  I made frittata as my contribution, and couldn’t pass up a serving for myself.  I think I had some other things to eat too, but mostly remember the cheesecake since it was the major diet-buster.  

After the party, I headed to Spokane to have the radio replaced in my Jetta under a recall.  Seems the radio has some problem in its firmware that makes the satellite receiver go bad, which happened to us, so it had to be replaced.  That project was projected to take “a couple of hours”, so I had Jonathan drive over to pick me up and take me along with him while he finished taking photos for his photography class.  That was fun, actually.  I helped him select some scenes to photograph, and he took the pix.  He said his biggest problem is deciding what to take pictures of – narrowing the choices – and he welcomed my suggestions.  He took shots of the Spokane River and Falls from a little walking bridge that crosses it near the Flour Mill.  Then he took photos of the view of the clock tower and Expo tower thingee from the steps at the Spokane Arena. I guess those turned out pretty well.  We about froze to death (it was in the teens), but it was fun.  Finally, at 5 PM, my car was done.  Jonathan I and drove to Coeur d’Alene and met Tom at Chili’s for dinner (another diet killer), after which we each headed to our respective homes (Jonathan back to Whitworth, Tom and me back to Sandpoint).  

Saturday was our granddaughter Olivia’s 7th birthday.  That meant pizza and cake – diet killer #3.  Sunday was a Christmas shopping day for Tom and me, which involved eating out at Applebee’s.  I don’t think Chicken Panini, as wonderfully delicious as it was, is on my diet.  And I doubt the chili and cornbread we had for dinner when the kids came over to watch Polar Express was either.  So… last week was pretty terrible diet-wise.  This one should be much better – I hope.  I just have to stay away from any goodies that show up in the staff lounge.  Better yet, I should avoid the staff lounge altogether.  Too bad that’s where I have to store my lunch and go for coffee or hot water for tea.  Pray for me.  I need all the help I can get!