Monday, December 19, 2005

Christmas came early

The weekend began on a positive note. Saturday morning we went to Spokane to pick Jonathan up - well, actually, to pick up some of his belongings that he wanted with him over Christmas break that would not fit into his car. His car held his computer (naturally, we couldn't expect him to come home for two weeks sans computer) and two monitors, his clothes, and sundry other things, while our car held his photography portfolio, his Photoshop projects, and some miscellaneous electronics. Turns out, he didn't really need our help after all.

Next stop was Burlington Coat Factory. Now, I had told Tom I didn't want anything for Christmas. He recently took me on a clothes shopping spree, during which I bought 4 pairs of jeans and about 6 or 7 new tops. I don't need anything! I finally said "well, the only thing I can imagine wanting is a new coat. I want a nice, feminine wool coat, about mid-thigh in length." Knowing the buying me jeans took two full days of shopping, he figured buying me a coat would entail a similar investment in time, and knew full well he could not even attempt to buy one without having me try it on. I have broad shoulders "for a girl" and very long arms (that sort of is a given when you're 5' 10"). Because I have spent a good number of years lifting weights, I larger than average upper arms, made worse by the layer of fat currently covering any muscle I might have left after this past year of relative inactivity. In other words, he was smart to take me along. As soon as I realized our destination, I knew our purpose. I found the women's "pant coat" racks and set about finding the coat of my dreams. I had it in my head, just wasn't sure it really existed. We waded through dozens of coats of varying styles, cuts, colors, and prices. I tried on one London Fog coat that I liked, but it had a hood, which I didn't like. It also had patch pockets, which I wasn't too keen on. I wanted a double-breasted coat with no belt and vertical pockets, black wool, and flattering. Many of the coats I tried on were way too tight in the arms and shoulder area. Even coats way too big for me fit that way. I was getting a bit frustrated. After about 30 minutes, Tom pulled a coat off the rack that looked like it might be a likely candidate. It was a Jones of New York coat. It was black. Was double-breasted. Had no belt. Now, would it fit my arms? I put it on and YES! It fit perfectly! It was better than I had hoped for! It is double-breasted, has a very flattering cut - it comes in at the waist slightly and is princess seamed, which makes for a very flattering and slimming fit. It has a nice detail on the sleeves that mimics the mock belt in the back. It was the coat of my dreams - and it was only $90! So, here's a photo of it. Guess they also have it at Overstock.com, so it must be an outdated model, but what the heck do I care?!?!? I love it! It's black.
So, I got my Christmas present on Saturday! Between the coat and having Jonathan home, I couldn't ask for much more. We drove to Coeur d'Alene and met Shana, Ryan and the grandkids for lunch at Chili's - another great time - and then headed back home to unpack Jonathan and sit around watching movies. Now I just have to wrap all the presents, buy Tom's present, and I'm all set!