Monday, August 01, 2005

The Shed Project

Tom calls it a "lean-to". I call it a "carport" for the riding lawnmower. To me, lean-to sounds like something you throw up with scrap lumber with a tarp for a roof or something equally as makeshift. When Tom kept talking about building a lean-to onto the shed, I envisioned something not all that attractive or functional. I wasn't really keen on the idea. Boy, was I in for a surprise when we started building it - a pleasant one! I don't know why I ever had a negative thought. Tom is a perfectionist. Everything he builds, everything he does, is done perfectly, tastefully, and with great skill. If he can't do it well, he will hire someone who can. The crazy things is, when it comes to house and yard stuff, I have yet to see a project he had to hire out. From the paver patio out front to the fountain/pond to this carport, he's exceeded my hopes, let alone expectations, every time. See for yourself: These first photos are during the construction. The roof is on - it's made from that corrugated polycarbonate stuff - but we have yet to put the floor in and the lattice that will enclose it is just leaning against the neighbor's fence. The floor is made of 12" x 12" x 2.5" concrete patio blocks. Tom leveled all the dirt, put sand down, and leveled each block. It was only about 95 the day he did it and this part of the yard gets sun pretty much all day long.


Now - the finished project:

Well, I have two others showing the shed in more detail, but Blogger won't let me post any more photos so... you can sort of see the wonderful floor, all framed out in pressure treated 2x4's. The lattice will help keep the stuff dry and keeps prying eyes from seeing what's inside very easily (it's the privacy lattice as opposed to the more common garden lattice). The riding lawnmower fits nicely inside (under its new cover) while there is plenty of room for the two walk-behind mowers and the fireplace thing we used on July 4th (it's in the back corner). The overall dimensions inside are 8 feet wide by 10 feet deep. I'll post more pix of the finished project tomorrow when Blogger frees me up to do so.