Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Hotter than blazes

I'm not sure what exactly happened to summer this year. June was, well, weird and not at all summer-like. Actually, I think April had hotter weather this year than June did. Then came July. We went from rain, rain, and more rain, to blisteringly hot unbearable hotness overnight. We went from needing the heater on and closed windows and doors to all doors and windows open 24/7, fans going, and it's still unbearable at 10PM. Go figure. And no, I don't attribute it to global warming. I am not sure I believe in global warming as much as I believe in cycles. Weather always goes in cycles (remember the ice age?). Anyway, we didn't have a few weeks of nice high 70's low 80's temps like we usually do. We just jumped right into the 90's and we've stayed there for weeks. They are forecasting some rain on Saturday with temps about 77, which would be a welcome relief. But Sunday is supposed to be clear and hot again. Normally, we get our hot days in late July, and there are usually just a few strung together - maybe 6 or 7 - before we get rain and cooler temps. Not this year. One good thing though - we haven't had the 100+ temps yet. Now, I'm not complaining really. I do love sunny, warm weather. I just wish it wasn't SO hot. The other day I went to get the paper at 8AM and it was already hot. I felt like I was in Vegas or Palm Springs it was that hot. Weird weather. We had practically no winter. Spring was warm and fairly dry. Summer started out cool and wet and is now insanely hot and dry. I wonder what fall will be like.

I love autumn. I hope it stays warm well into October. That would be awesome. I would also love another mild winter, but the plants and bugs need a real winter, a cold, snowy one. The plants need the deep moisture and the bugs need to be killed off. We've got all sorts of weird bug strains we don't usually see because of the lack of a snowy winter last year. I am not too thrilled with the copious numbers of bugs in my lawn and on my plants, so I could go for a very cold and snowy winter if it means fewer bugs next year - and healthier flowers and plants.

This is a really boring, pathetic post so I am going to end it and go home and barbecue tri-tip for dinner.