Thursday, June 30, 2005

Non-conformity

The sun is shining! It's 6:45 AM and I'm actually dressed for the gym. Obviously, I'm not there yet. If I can get this post finished quickly, I may actually make it to the gym and get some sort of workout in. That's step 1 in getting back in shape. So, I'm typing as fast as my fingers will allow.

Today I am off to the periodontist for my follow-up appointment. That means I have to leave Sandpoint by 9 AM at the latest in order to make it to Spokane by 10:20. Hmmm, actually, now that I think about it, I need to leave by 8:45. You never know what sort of traffic problems you will encounter along I-90 between Post Falls, Idaho and Spokane, WA. So, if I plan to workout at all, I had better get to the gym by 7:30 at the latest.

Tom is in a bad mood. Jonathan cut his hair last night and it made Tom mad. I don't really understand why. You may recall that just before Mother's Day Jonathan shaved his head. Well, he's been letting it grow ever since. About a month after he shaved it, it looked pretty good. It was short but not horrendous and it was easy for him to take care of. He liked that it didn't lay down flat, as his hair has a tendency to do. By yesterday, his hair had grown out quite a bit and was laying down flat. He just cut it back to the length of about 3 weeks ago. I think it looks fine, but for some reason, it just sent Tom off the deep end. He thinks it's stupid looking and went on a rant about how Jonathan never takes his advice, never listens to anything he has to say, and so on. I told him I'd rather Jonathan's "rebellion" be in the form of cutting his hair short than body piercing and tattooing himself like some kids we know. For some reason he just doesn't get that kids this age are all about weird hair/clothes/habits while they try to figure out who they are. I guess since he was such a conformist he just doesn't understand non-conformity as a normal part of growing up. When I tell him that it's normal, he gets sarcastic with me, telling me that I think I'm such an expert on kids. Well, I do see a ton of college kids at the library, I do read college kids' blogs and try to understand what they are thinking and feeling, I do work with some college kids, and I do remember being a college kid who did not listen to much of anything her parents told her. Good grief! I can't believe we are arguing about something as stupid as Jonathan cutting his hair. I wish Tom would just let Jonathan be Jonathan and stop trying to "fix" him. Oh, duh... this is where I'm supposed to let God take over. Stop trying to control everyone's feelings, keep the peace... let God do what He needs to do in this. See, I'm telling you, this is my huge weak area and Satan knows it! As soon as I vow to let God be in control, Satan steps in and says "oh yeah? That's what you think. I'll show you that you just are not able to do that. Let me throw a wrench in your nice little life today." Boy, and I fell for it, hook, line, and sinker! Satan, you are such a jerk!

I think I need to go talk to God for a while... c'ya!