Wednesday, June 29, 2005

It's all good

Wow, what a week since I last posted. First, we finally got the money from the refinance! I paid off ALL my credit cards and still have a nice little nest egg that I'll be depositing in an ING Direct savings account so it can earn 3% interest instead of the meager .75% most banks are paying. Second, last weekend was Hoopfest. It is such an awesome event. It's so cool that Spokane can host two events (the other being Bloomsday) that draw over 100,000 people to downtown and nothing bad happens like stabbings or shootings or anything like that. The only thing of note that happened during Hoopfest was one fight that broke out between two teams. Tommy, my oldest son, has played in Hoopfest for years - probably more than 10 years. He has played with various other players over the years, but his most consistent wins have come when he has played with my son-in-law, Ryan, my husband, and a kid named Tyler he met a few years ago down at Sandpoint City Beach playing basketball. The four of them have kicked butt every time they've played together. This year, Tom didn't play, so Tommy picked up the father of one of the girls on his AAU basketball team. He was okay and helped out, but Tom would have added a lot more to the team. Regardless, they won their bracket for the third year in a row. That's quite a feat. The team they beat had won their bracket for the past three years, so Tommy ended their winning streak. The last two years, Tommy's team won without losing a single game. This year they did lose once to the team they eventually beat. They had beaten the team on Saturday, which dropped the other team into the loser's bracket. That team had to work their way back up into the finals to play Tommy's team again. In order to win, the other team would have had to beat Tommy's team twice. They won the first game 14-12 because time ran out. Tommy hadn't heard the court monitor call "five minutes" so didn't realize time was running out and didn't play for the last shot, so they lost. They had a 15 minute break, then started game 2. When time ran out the score was tied so the game went into overtime, just like the first game they had played against each other on Saturday. Tommy's team ended up winning 15-13 in overtime. It was a tough, tough game and a hard fought win. Way to go Tommy, Ryan, and Tyler! Oh, his team's name is "It's All Good".

The always wrong weather man predicted hot, hot temps all week. True to form, it's been raining for three days. Yesterday, I mowed in the rain. How fun was that? The lawn is growing like it's on steroids. It's crazy. I miss the sun.

I got my first paycheck with my raise on it. Nice! And... I got the lump sum back pay payout. Double nice! God is sooooooo amazing! He has truly blessed us in so many ways. (I think I hear Satan waiting in the wings to try to upset the apple cart.) I just need to always remember to TRUST HIM and stop trying to manage everything myself. I think that's my big lesson in life... TRUST HIM in all things and stop trying to make things go right. I am such a dork. I never thought of myself as a control freak, but God has been making it really apparent that I so AM and so often try to control situations to keep the peace, stuff like that. STOP IT GINA! That was God shouting at me. TRUST HIM! That's my new motto.

Ciao!