Wednesday, May 18, 2005

If my people, which are called by my name....

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." 2 Chronicles 7:14

It seems God was trying to teach Tom a lesson in humility with the recent job problem. On D-Day - the last chance he had to file his grievance/appeal - he met with his boss to go over, in detail, the concerns she had that prompted her to write the letter of reprimand. I had just heard a great show on the local Calvary Satellite Network station by Chip Ingram wherein he discussed how, when there is a conflict, all of us usually believe we are right and the other person is wrong. He referred to Proverbs 21:2 - "All a man's ways seem right to him, but the Lord weighs the heart" and went on to explain that if we really want to resolve conflict, we have to stop wanting to be right and look for the real problem, look behind the words and weigh the heart. It really struck me that this was a message I had to share with Tom. He needed to stop trying to prove he had done nothing wrong and figure out what the real problem was. I called and told him what I'd heard and then prayed all day that God would reveal the real issue to both Tom and his boss. Tom prayed all day too. I told Tom I felt a big part of the problem is that his boss really needs to be liked. He has expressed to me on several occasions that he didn't think she liked him and he didn't particularly like her. I told him he needed to be nice to her and to try to like her, otherwise she would most likely say to herself about him "you don't like me, fine! I don't like you either. The hell with you!" and that could have grave consequences.

So... with all that in mind, he met with her at the end of his day yesterday. I sat on pins and needles - sort of, but not really because I was totally trusting God in this matter - and waited for his call. He called me an hour later. She was going to rescind the letter! He had admitted that he could have done a better job of documenting the things that had delayed him during some of the times in question. She realized he was not taking too long to get to his break. He apologized to her over and over for putting her in the position of even having to write him the letter. Then he said to me "I guess she really does like me and she had a horrible weekend after she gave me the letter because she felt so awful about it." That was huge because he was convinced she did not like him and was out to get him. I know he was humbled and I know that he came to realize over the past week that he has unrealistic and unattainable expectations of people around him (especially me and Jonathan). I see a real difference in him. I just hope it sticks. This is definitely one of those times you could say "what the enemy meant for evil, God turned to good". Though it was stressful and emotional, a lot of good came out of this experience. I know I learned, yet again, to trust God with everything. I kind of have a habit of thinking I need to take back the reins now and then and God usually whaps me upside the head to remind me HE is in control. Too bad I keep forgetting that.

It is POURING outside right now. Absolutely pouring.