Friday, December 03, 2004

I should be working out....

....instead, here I am, at my computer, as if I don't spend enough time here during working hours. What is wrong with me? Don't answer that. I really do need to get back into the workout groove though. I have realized I am woefully out of shape. Simple things, like putting the cover back on the barbecue, result in a pulled (in this case, rhomboid) muscle. That's not a good sign. It was not all that long ago that I was confident my physical condition and strength could carry me through just about anything. Now I struggle to keep from pulling muscles. I'm too young for this feeling.

I decided yesterday to begin getting back into the groove by going for a walk with a coworker at lunch. Just as we were preparing to depart, my brother IM'd me. I had not talked with him at length in ages, so I delayed the departure. I had a great chat with Michael, but by the time we finished I had about 20 minutes for the walk. Actually, my coworker had only 20 minutes as she has a defined lunch hour whereas I have total flexibility when it comes to my hours. We decided to go anyway. It was about 32 degrees out, but it didn't seem that cold once we started walking. It felt great to get out into the fresh air in the middle of the day - something I seldom have the opportunity, or rather, take the time, to do. Unfortunately, my ears started to ache so bad from the cold I could hardly stand it. They hurt on the inside and the outside and continued to hurt for several minutes after we returned to the library. It was not fun - and I have a very high tolerance for pain so you know it had to be bad. I now have to go invest in some ear muffs so I can continue these lunchtime walks. I've never worn ear muffs before. I don't even know where to buy ear muffs. Another coworker told me they make new, sleek ones so you don't look like you have Hostess Snowballs attached to the sides of your head. I wonder where you get those (the sleek ones, not the Snowball ones.)

My boss told me his doctor told him that full spectrum lights (which we have at the library) don't do a darned thing to help your pineal gland and that, this time of year in this part of the world, most people's pineal glands are not even functional. The only way to make it work again is to spend 30 minutes a day outdoors, regardless of whether it's sunny or cloudy, between 9AM and 2PM. Being in an office with windows doesn't count, nor does being in a vehicle all day. You have to be outside. That was the impetus for the walk. A non-functioning pineal gland leads to overeating, oversleeping, depression, weight gain, and a raft of other seasonally affected maladies. No wonder I struggle with my weight and my motivation to workout every winter. And as I age, the ability to lose the weight I gain becomes more of a struggle. Ugh.

So why am I sitting at my computer? Time to go to the gym! Ciao!