Wednesday, November 02, 2005

To blog or not to blog

Sometimes I wonder why I bother to blog.  Is it pure vanity?  Is it because I imagine people are reading it and just not commenting?  I have a stat counter on my page that shows the bitter truth – I don’t have many readers.  I think I might have two or three die hard “fans”; thank you JoAnn, Lynsey, and Shaun.  I got into this blogging thing after getting hooked on Nathan’s blog.  He has over 23,000 hits!  How did his blog become so popular?  Is it simply that he has a ton of friends who read his informative and interesting posts regularly?  Is it because he’s young, and what he writes about is way more interesting than what a 50 year old library technology person writes about?  Is it because my generation really doesn’t, for the most part, “get” blogs, so my audience is limited as a result?  Maybe.  It is a bit discouraging, though, to write something knowing very few people will read it – or care that you wrote it.  I guess that is ego, isn’t it?  If I were approaching this blog as a kind of journal, it wouldn’t matter if anyone read it.  I would be writing for my own satisfaction, not for an audience.  But to be effective as a journal, I would have to write a lot of really personal stuff that I wouldn’t necessarily want to be read by anyone other than myself.  So the journal aspect is out.  If not a journal, then what?  Obviously, I am writing for an audience, hence my dismay at the lack of one.  I must admit, having very limited readership does make updating a lower priority.  I could better communicate with the three people who read my blog via email on a much more personal level and get immediate feedback from them.  This is a dilemma.  To blog or not to blog.  That is the question.  I suppose, until I feel very strongly one way or the other, I’ll maintain the status quo, which is to continue posting on an irregular schedule.  I should probably pray about this and about why I’m doing this and see if God has any insights for me.  Yeah, that’s the ticket.