Monday, November 21, 2005

Barbie Envy

OMG I want to be a kid again!  I just got an FAO Schwartz catalog (how I got on their mailing list is a mystery to me) and was browsing through it.  I totally want the Carolina Herrera Bride Barbie!  And I swear, my original 1960 vintage Barbie had a dress just like the one on the Stolen Magic Barbie – one of those ones that is really tight at the mid-calf then flares out like mad to the floor.  Ooooh so elegant swellegant!  C’mon!  I want one.  They’re only $150!!!

Now, can you imagine for real paying that much for a Barbie doll???  That is just insane!  The bride Barbie is beautiful and I really love the dress on the Stolen Magic doll, but I don’t love it $150 worth.  My Barbie was a bride too, with a blonde bubble hairdo.  My sister had one with a brown bubble hairdo (my sister is a brunette) and hers had a green formal dress.  We both had Ken dolls too.  Hers was blond, mine was brown-haired and a doctor when he wasn’t a groom in his tux.  I think hers had a tux too.  We had a Barbie car too – some sort of roadster that they could tool around in.  Barbies ruled.  I still have our Barbies and their cases.  One of our dogs bit my sister’s doll’s head so there are holes in it.  It may have been a cat, actually, come to think of it.  Anyway, some animal bit it and there are two small puncture holes in her head.  Otherwise they’re in great shape.  The wedding dress and formal are long gone, sad to say.  Oooohhh, on the very next page there is another doll with an even prettier dress, also one that’s tight at mid-calf and flared at the bottom, and it’s only $35!!!    Now that’s more like it.  Sigh… I wish I was a little girl again.  Maybe I need to buy one of these for my granddaughter….  I could play with her.  ;)