Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Cat's Claw

Well, I did it.  I took Ali, the cat, to the vet yesterday to have her back claws removed.  She’s been declawed in the front since she was a kitten, but had her back claws.  Unfortunately, her relentless scratching, resulting in big, ugly, bloody sores on her neck, has forced my hand.  It was with a heavy heart that I stuffed her into her carrier and carted her off to Dr. Stoll’s office.  She knew she was in for it the moment I walked down the hall.  Cats do have a sixth sense; I’m convinced of it.  She had been head-butting me and hanging around me all morning, begging for food; she’d been without since 8PM the previous night in anticipation of her surgery.  I was talking to her, getting ready for work, and she was just sitting on the divider next to the counter.  I no sooner put my top on and walked down the hall, when she bolted for the space under my headboard in which she likes to hide.  I hadn’t even gotten the carrier yet!  She knew!  I had to lure her out with a freshly opened packet of food.  I felt so mean.  Naturally, I snatched her and stuffed her, fighting all the way, into the carrier.  She spent the drive into town shooting me dirty looks, as if to say “you mean, nasty, lying person!  I trusted you!”  No sooner did I open the door to Dr. Stoll’s office when she let out a low, begging moan, a sound reserved solely for visits to the vet’s office.  Nope, she was not a happy camper.  

Dr. Stoll’s wife, Heidi, called me about 4PM to say all had gone well, she had awakened fine, but he had given her extra pain meds (that makes me SAD) so wanted to keep her overnight.  I am picking her up this morning.  She’s going to be so mad at me.  Fortunately, Jonathan will be home around noon today, so he can console her.  I’m sure she’ll be overjoyed to see him.  He hasn’t been home since school started.  Unfortunately, later today the house will be swarming with “strangers”, and Ali hates strangers, especially those under 4’ 6”.  Tommy, Shannon, and the grandkids, Sydney and Alyssa, will be here late this afternoon, which means Ali will likely dive into the tunnel under Jonathan’s waterbed and not emerge again until Saturday sometime, after all the guests have left.  It’s going to be a tough recovery for her.  At least she will never be able to disfigure herself again, and that’s a relief.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my readers (all 3 of you)!!!  I hope your holiday is filled with family, great food, warm memories, and God’s blessings.