Tuesday, October 26, 2004

The Ultimate Self-Help Book

I was conversing with some of my co-workers last week about the plethora of self-help books in print. During the course of our conversation it dawned on me that I could - and should - write the ultimate self-help/diet book. Heck, with my life experiences, I could write on virtually every topic imaginable. Well, okay, I could not write about how to stop smoking as I"ve never smoked, or substance abuse, as I have never abused any substance except food. On the other hand, I could write an encyclopedia on dieting. I've pretty much tried them all and had some measure of success with most. Of course, I've had an even greater measure of failure, as have most of us. It really does all boil down to calories in/calories out - in other words, eat less, exercise more. Now, if only I would follow my own advice.

But seriously, I think I should write the consummate self-help/diet book in the vein of Peg Bracken's "I Hate to Cook" or "I Hate to Housekeep" books. For those of you too young to remember her, Peg Bracken was the anti-Martha Stewart of her day. My mom owned every one of her books. They were nifty little paperbacks filled with wonderfully simple tips for creating tantalizing dinners, quickly making your house look spiffy for the impending in-law visit, or knowing which fork or spoon to use at that fancy company dinner you have to attend. She filled her books with humor, making the lessons "stick" that much better. I'm thinking some sort of humorous book that is helpful on an array of topics. Some chapter ideas are: Resolving Family Conflicts - Siblings, Parent/Child, Adult Children, Extended Family Relationships; Dealing with Divorce - Your Own, Your Parents', Your Children's; Building Blended Families That Work; Dos and Don'ts of Stepparenting; Successful Dieting; Preparing for and Going Through Menopause; Handling Empty-Nest Syndrome; Dealing with Depression - Yours, His, Theirs; The Joys of Grandparenting - The Reward for Raising Teenagers; Caring for Elderly Parents; Housekeeping for the Organizationally Challenged; Guilt-free Parenting for the Working Woman... and that's just a start. So, toss out Dr. Phil, Dr. Laura, The South Beach Diet, Atkins, all of them. This book will replace them all.

Now, I just have to start writing it. Ideas for other chapters are enthusiastically encouraged, as are anecdotal accounts that could be incorporated in the book. I really should totally do this. Maybe on another blog. I'm pondering this idea. Suggestions welcome!