Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Brief update

I have been way too busy. As a result, my blog is suffering. Nothing worse than a blog that doesn't get updated, in my opinion. Readers stop visiting. So... a brief update before I head off to work.

College Life

Last weekend was Parent's Weekend at Whitworth, my son's college. Though we have seen Jonathan nearly every weekend since he left for college (it's only a little more than an hour away), it was still great being able to hang out with him for most of the weekend and see him in his environment, amongst his friends. We also had the pleasure of seeing his roommate' parents again. I really, really like them. JoAnn and I just seem to click. We talk easily about all sorts of stuff - mainly our boys, but about other things as well. Tom is great too, but I have to admit, when the four of us are together, usually JoAnn and I are talking together while Tom and Tom (both dads are named Tom) are talking together, so I don't get to interact with him as much as I do JoAnn. Regardless of what happens with our boys - whether or not they continue rooming together in the ensuing college years - I am sure JoAnn and I will remain friends. Meeting her was one of the best things to come out of Nathan being Jonathan's roommate.

As part of Parent's Weekend we took in a Whitworth football game. After a week of stunningly gorgeous autumn weather, things took a turn for the worse. Saturday started off cloudy and cool and soon became drizzly and cold. It didn't actually rain during the game, but it had rained so the bleachers were wet. The Harrisons had this great blanket thingee to sit on, but it was only big enough for 3 of us. They were generous enough to share it with Tom and me. JoAnn and I took up most of it, leaving both Toms to sit mostly on the wet bleachers. Thanks guys! You're the best! Though it didn't rain, it was cold with a slight breeze nipping at us throughout most of the game. We left with just a couple of minutes left in the game with Whitworth up 38-21 after taking full advantage of two fumbles by University of Puget Sound and an interception by Whitworth. We saw the end of the game as we walked to McMillan Hall, my son's dorm. After the game we "chilled" with Jonathan. Saturday night, we went to see A Man For All Seasons, put on by the Whitworth drama department. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The guys weren't having all that great a time though. Both were tired, it was warm in the auditorium, and they were both falling asleep so, sadly, we left at intermission. I love theater and had hoped seeing the play would spark an interest in the guys. This just wasn't the production to light that spark though. It was a bit difficult to understand the old English if you weren't paying close attention. Some of the actors didn't speak loudly enough so it was a little tough to hear their lines, and unless you have an interest in Henry VIII, which I always have had, that particular production can be a bit dry. Had they been doing Fiddler on the Roof, or some other more "active" production, the guys likely would have liked it better.

The following morning we enjoyed the worship service in the auditorium. Bill Robinson, the president of Whitworth, is one of the most captivating, engaging speakers I have ever had the good fortune of listening to. I would listen to that guy give a speech on how to unclog a toilet. He is amazing. I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting him, but hope to one day soon. He is the type of guy you listen to and think to yourself "I would kill to work for a guy like him." He's intelligent, articulate, humble, and funny. I can't say enough good things about him. I am so happy my son is at Whitworth. It is an awesome school with an awesome staff!

The real world calls...

Well, I have to go to work now. We have staff meeting today and then.....I have to do my first performance review of my assistant at our branch. I am not looking forward to it. I have some criticisms to make and I'm afraid of how she'll react. I am going to try to be positive and encouraging as I explain my concerns. I just pray it goes okay and she sees the criticism in the manner in which I intend it - as an attempt to help her do her job better. Cross your fingers.