Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Chipped already!

So, I just got a phone call from my husband. He starts the call by saying "you're not going to believe it..." Immediately I feel a churning in my stomach. You see, he drove the Audi to work today - 45 miles down a two lane highway notorious for frequent accidents, reckless drivers, etc. "What?!" I ask, choking back panic. "The Audi got two dents and three rock chips in the front fender. I'm just sick. Just sick." comes his reply in a voice filled with distress. "Okay, what do you mean dents - how big are they? How big are the chips?" "Big. Big and noticeable." My imagination is running wild. Did a piece of metal fly up and hit the car? A boulder? What? "Okay, how big? The size of a nickel, dime, what?" "Well, the rock chips are about 1/8" in diameter - the biggest one - two smaller ones right behind it, and the dents look like someone took a nail and just tapped it into the fender twice." Okay, so not huge like I was imagining, but chips and dents in our barely a week old car. Disconcerting, but not reason for panic. He has a tendency to overreact. I'll call our favorite body shop, the one that miraculously repaired my BMW when it was t-boned by an idiot driver two years ago, the one that flawlessly repaired a huge door ding in the passenger door of the Beetle when the wind whipped a co-worker's car door into my door two years ago, the one I know will fix this problem perfectly. It's in Spokane, but it's worth the trek. This shop, Precision Collision, owned by Gary Larson, is incredible. Gary is a perfectionist who won't let a vehicle leave his shop unless it is perfectly repaired. I trust him implicitly. He will fix the Audi. The insurance will cover part of the cost. It's not as awful as my husband thinks it is, but it is sickening to have to have body work done on a brand new car so soon. That's the "joy" of living in North Idaho. Needless to say, he won't be driving it to work again anytime soon.