Monday, April 30, 2012

Two blogs are better than one

I started my blogging "career" here on Blogger. I enjoyed it, but the Blogger framework had only limited customization. So, I moved to Wordpress.com. It was much more customizable, and I fell into a nice relationship with Wordpress.com that I maintained for quite some time. Then, I decided I wanted to host my blog myself. I opened up a hosting account with Dreamhost and purchased the domain "eclecticdefined.org". I have hosted my blog there ever since, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

I took a break from blogging - a two year break. Facebook and Twitter took precedence. Microblogging was all the rage. It seemed as though we no longer had time to read full-blown blogs. We were too busy following our grandchildren, far-flung relatives, and high school classmates on Facebook and Twitter, and playing Farmville, to spend time perusing blogs. I stopped blogging and spent time Facebooking and tweeting. And yes, I did succumb to Farmville's allure for quite some time.

Times change. I no longer play Farmville. I deleted my farm, which was replete with European-themed buildings - I had the Eiffel Tower, L'Ecole Militaire, French chateaus, Italian villas and sidewalk cafes, an English castle, the Swiss Alps and Bavarian villages - and U.S. regionally-themed sections, with Cape Cod beaches, lighthouses, and homes, southwestern adobes with bobcats and cacti, and west coast surf scenes. I had lost interest in, and no longer had time to play, the game.

I don't Tweet much, nor do I read the tweets of the people I follow. No time. I do update my Facebook status regularly, and post photos, mostly because it is so easy to do from my smartphone. I try to keep up with the status updates of all my family members, most of my high school classmates, and a few local friends and coworkers, but my hectic schedule makes that challenging at times. While I crave the social interaction that Facebook provides, my time is so limited I miss many important updates from those I care about. I need to find a way to slow down my life. And while Facebook is terrific, it doesn't really provide one a venue for extended musings, the way blogging does. 

So, I decided to revive my blog. I'm probably crazy to do so. If I barely have time to Facebook or Tweet, how on earth will I find time to blog anything other than idiotic drivel? I have no idea. But I'm going to give it a go. Now, the question is, do I completely abandon this blog, or do I feed my posts from my domain to this blog? Or do I do something completely different here? That is a question I have yet to answer. For the time being, I am going to feed the posts from eclecticdefined.org/blog to this blog, and ponder the direction in which I will go. I don't want to give this blog up because I have some cool stuff posted here, and I really am a pack rat at heart. So, onward, to see what the future holds....