Monday, September 11, 2006

Weight loss update

So, amazingly and surprisingly, I've started losing weight again. What I mean is, despite my best efforts over the past few months, I was fighting a losing battle against my weight. I'd lose three or four pounds, only to gain them back even more quickly. Over the past few weeks, I started trying more diligently to watch my diet. I was rewarded with a loss of a few pounds that stayed off. Then, this past week, I found myself losing about half a pound a day, to my utter astonishment. The net result is that I have lost about 17 pounds over the past 4 or 5 months! I still have 20 to go to get to where I was when Youngest Son went off to college in 2004, the weight at which I'd been "stuck" for a few years, and 35 to get to my ideal weight, a goal I haven't achieved since 1998, but I have a renewed hope that I can actually achieve those goals now. Anyone who has fought their weight understands how good it feels to achieve a goal, even a little, interim one, and how motivating that can be. My boss has lost about 40 pounds in the last couple of months, thanks to a renewed dedication to Weight Watchers. His success is what spurred me to work harder at my own weight loss, coupled with a concern for my health and fitness, which has always been excellent, but which was being negatively impacted by my weight. So.... a little success, with hopefully more to come!