Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11

Every morning, while getting ready for work, The Spouse turns on the news. Today, of course, it's all about September 11. I keep getting all choked up. Regardless of your thoughts about the president, the war in Iraq, or anything else, I suspect we all share similar feelings about that awful day. One thing that makes me sad is remembering how united we all were on that day, and the days following, and contrasting it with the climate in this country today. We weren't Republicans and Democrats, we weren't black, white, asian, or hispanic, we were just Americans who shared a national grief. And most of the world grieved with us. But today there is so much division, so much name-calling, so many doubts, so much second-guessing. And so much of the world looks upon us with disdain. It makes me sad. But then, I've never been one to handle division and conflict very well. I want peace and unity. I'm an idealist, I know.