Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The reason I am not a worldly success

I was reading an article in today’s paper about a man who was struck and killed while riding his bicycle with a fellow bicyclist along a straight section of the road. It was a really tragic accident. The man had apparently logged over 10,000 miles on his bicycle. What struck me was the way he was described by his brother. He could have been describing me. …well, except for the enormous number of friends who loved him to pieces.

“Smith had a master’s degree in energy planning and was interested in sailing, cooking, and desktop publishing. He memorized dozens of sea dirges and recited Lewis Carroll at gatherings of The Well. ’I think he had far too many interests to be a worldly success in the late 20th century, but he had an enormous number of friends who loved him to pieces,’ Creighton Smith said.”

It doesn’t say Smith was interested in photography or writing, but I’ll bet he was. Probably liked gardening too. At last, I understand why I’ll never be the next (name your favorite prominent successful, brilliant female). Too many interests. I think they call that ADD.