Monday, January 31, 2005

Insanity Reigns/Rains/Reins

I think I am going to go crazy. Many who know me would say I have already done so. Perhaps they are right. What other explanation could there be for the constant state of "overwhelmedness" in which I find myself? I am overwhelmed at work by the chaos in my office, the never-ending call of computers that need upgrading or repairing, the continual stream of requests for assistance from staff and patrons, the stack of papers on my desk that grows exponentially on an hourly basis, the network maintenance needs that demand immediate attention "or else", the management responsibilities that are currently in a state of flux thanks to the boss and his zealous conversion to a new customer service model which he is pushing like a proselyte to the entire staff, e-rate funding with its looming deadlines, email, phone calls to and from vendors so I can budget for e-rate requests, mandatory reading of professional texts, and the time-sucking meetings we are forced to endure for hours each week. At home I am overwhelmed by overstuffed cupboards seriously in need of organizing and "de-junking", the clutter on my dresser, the mountain of filing on the kitchen counter, housework that has gone undone for too long, books I want to read for pleasure but for which I cannot seem to find the time, cooking, shopping, laundry. Personally I am overwhelmed by the things I want to do and learn that lurk in my brain begging to be given their audience. I want to take pictures - amazing, artistic, well-composed, interesting, pictures. I want to paint - watercolor, oil, acrylic, anything, just paint. I want to write - my novel, this blog, just stuff. I want to learn how to make awesome web sites. I want to learn how to really use Photoshop not just to tweak photos, but to create cool graphics for the web sites I design. I want to learn ASP.NET. I want to learn CSS. I want to learn Java, C++, Visual Studio.NET. I wish I could stop wanting to learn and do all these things. It seems like life would be so much calmer if I could just stop my brain. I lie awake at night thinking about so much stuff it takes me forever to fall asleep. I wish I could just flip a switch and shut off the noise in my brain. See, I AM insane. Insanity reigns in my life, rains down upon me, and has me by the reins. I need a long vacation.