Thursday, August 19, 2004

In the beginning...

...there was writer's block. Okay, maybe not actual writer's block, but certainly some serious questioning as to why on earth I decided to start a blog. What in the world was I thinking? Who would possibly want to read anything I write in a blog? Am I just an egotistical jerk even beginning a blog? Perhaps. But thousands of others have gone before me, and there are those who find their writings interesting, amusing, insightful, entertaining, even educational. So, I join the masses with this, my first post on my first blog.

Interestingly, it was my son's soon-to-be college roommate who got me interested in blogging - and he doesn't even know it. He has a blog that I found a joy to read. He is a talented writer. I'm hoping some of his talent will rub off on my son as they cohabit this coming school year. They will be attending Whitworth College in Spokane, WA. My son, who also just started a blog, will major in computer science while his roommate will major in journalism. They will complement one another well.

They are eerily similar in so many ways, yet dissimilar enough that life should prove interesting. They like the same movies, music, and play the same computer games online on the same server. They even are similar in height and build and wear their hair the same. The only major difference physically is that my son is quite fair while his roommate is darker. Oh, their fathers both have the same name and both are or were PE teachers. Now how weird is that?

Now, it's not that Jonathan isn't a talented writer, it's just that he doesn't like to write. He's actually quite articulate when he applies himself. He's not overly fond of reading either, while his roommate generally has, in his words, 5 books going at once. Jonathan's forte is math. He's a whiz at it. I thought I was good in math when I was in school.... Jonathan puts me to shame. He grasps the most abstract concepts with such ease. I remember loving math, even calculus - to a point. Jonathan revels in it. He amazes me. And naturally, I am not the least bit prejudiced. Now if he'd only find a way to love reading and writing...